Menopause is a term that means you’ve had your last menstrual cycle or period. Typically age for this is between 48-55. Menopause can be accompanied by a number of physical changes and symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats, joint pains, anxieties, irritabilities, depressions and sleep disturbances. Menopause and post menopause time are also risk of health problems such as heart disease and osteoporosis.
Many studies have shown that women who are physically active can lessen their menopause symptoms more than sedentary women. Some studies found also that weight gain after menopause is more likely in sedentary women than in women who maintain physically active lifestyle. Exercise appears to have a great influence on women’s total body fat and abdominal fat. Abdominal fat storages are linked with heart disease and diabetes, so it’s important to keep your body fit and waist trimmed. Exercise has positive impact to your mood too and has been shown to be a helpful treatment of depression.
- Improves posture (less pain and aches, prevent arthritis)
- Enhances pelvic floor muscles (prevents incontinence)
- Increase spinal mobility (less back pain)
- Improves muscle flexibility (maintains joints range of motion)
- Enhances muscular strength, flexibility and endurance (less muscle mass loss per year, toned muscles boost your metabolism)
- Decreases or prevent low back pain (core strength)
- Makes you feel younger and more dynamic in your daily life (boosts energy)
- Improves bone density and joint health (prevents osteoporosis)
- Improves lung capacity (active breathing technique is part of Pilates)
- Relieves muscle tension (stretches your tight muscles)
- Boosts self confidence and body image (body and mind connection)
- Decreases mood swing (boosts energy and mood)
Long list but all this is true. Our bodies change with age but we have more control on it than we think. Pilates teaches you many valuable skills you can use in everyday life, giving you the feeling that you are really involved and helping you to enjoy your life by keeping your mind and body healthy.
More about PilatesWise program in Carlsbad, California please click HERE